Attending the MACUL conference is one of the biggest highlights of the year for Michigan educators. Over 4500 attendees descended on the Cobo Center in downtown Detroit to soak up sessions put on by teachers throughout the state as well as international thought leaders in the field of EdTech and innovation.
Jamie (@jamiedewitt), Brandon (@B2edu), Roman (@rstotland) and I (@JGer1) attended MACUL, representing MyBlend as presenters and connecting with folks at our booth in the vendor area as well. We enjoyed connecting with lots of #michED friends, making new connections and engaging in deep thoughtful conversations on the whole.
In the days following the conference, we’ve been trying to unpack and share our reflections as so many others do. Personally I was having a bit of writer’s block. Brandon suggested we do a podcast so I booked a meeting room here at the Michigan Virtual University® office and put a mic in the middle of the table. I didn’t have guiding questions but I think the four of us did a pretty good job of improvising. There is a lot of merit to planning and preparation. We are deeply thoughtful people. But sometimes you just need to jump and trust that you’ll do well. Listening to the recording now, I like the rawness and I’m glad that we captured these thoughts for us to do something with them in the future. Ironically that’s the power of reflections, to look forward as you think back.
As a group we've been reading the steady stream of reflections from this year's conference. We've been sending links back and forth. Collectively we feel that they help to enrich our conference perspective in retrospect.
Since we didn’t get to go to as many sessions as we would have liked this year, we appreciated being able to read the reflections from the other attendees. Here are a few:
- EduTechie Teacher by Lisa Mele (@MrsMele1)
- Journeys in Online Language Learning by William Springer (@SpringerWilliam)
- Janine Campbell by Janine Campbell (@campbellartsoup)
- THEGEOMETRYTEACHER by Andrew Shauver (@hs_math_phys)
- School Technology Reflections by Sara Abraham (+Sara Abraham)
- The Colorful Principal by Ben Gilpin (@benjamingilpin)
- Concrete Classroom by Mike Kaechele (@mikekaechele)
- Adventures in Learning by Josh Hubbard (@jhubb546)
- The Two Guys Show by Drew Minock (@TechMinock) and Brad Waid (@techbradwaid)
- Smartucate Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 by Ann Smart (@AnnSmart17)